History

The Yews was originally a modest Victorian family house that was extended several times over the years to its current size. in addition to its role as a family house it was at various times also home to the post office and to the fire engine. It originally had a large garden but when the last family moved out in the late 1950's, the house was sold to the local council and a new house (now replaced by flats) was built in the garden for the owner.

East Sussex County Council, the local council in the late 1950's, converted the house into a residential home for teenagers in care who were starting a working life. This role lasted until about 1968 when under the local government re-organisation, The Yews passed to West Sussex County Council. In about 1969 the building was turned into the community centre it is today. One of the first groups to use it was The Nursery Playgroup - still using the building forty years later.

The Friends of The Yews was established in 1984 to support the Yews and the groups who use its facilities. It is an independent registered charity which raises funds for the facilities and activities. It makes small grants to individual groups to help with special activities, such as Christmas parties and summer outings, activities which are especially important to those whose mobility and communication is impaired or who suffer from depression and other problems.

In January 2011 a new partnership (currently consisting of the Friends of the Yews, Mid Sussex (South) Council for Voluntary Service, Sussex Oakleaf and Action for Deafness supported by Haywards Heath Town Council, WSCC and Mid Sussex District Council) applied to WSCC to take over the running of The Yews. The Yews (Haywards Heath) Community Partnership was formed as a charitable company limited by guarantee and is now responsible for the running of this essential community service. It took over the operation from The Friends of The Yews that was running it on an interim basis. WSCC formally handed over the building at a ceremony on October 1st 2011 - see pictures on the right.